(Why we collect your personal data and what we do with it)
We are Hykeham Chiropractic, and provide family Chiropractic healthcare in Lincoln.
When you supply your personal details to Hykeham Chiropractic they are stored and processed for 3 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the General Data Protection Regulation – i.e. the law):
- We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a “Legitimate Interest” in collecting that information, because without it we couldn’t do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm or rearrange your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your medical care. Your address and telephone numbers will only be used for this purpose and not for any other marketing. Your email address will only be used for communicating session related exercises and advice that is non-confidential. This again constitutes “Legitimate Interest”, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your last contact with the clinic (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this time they will be securely destroyed.
Your records are stored:
- On paper, in locked filing cabinets, and the offices are always locked and alarmed out of working hours.
- Electronically, using a specialist medical records service called Cliniko which is based in Australia. We have a contract with Cliniko which states their compliance with the General Data Protection Regulations. Access to this data is password protected, and the passwords are changed regularly.
- On our office computers. These are password-protected, backed up regularly, and the office(s) are locked and alarmed out of working hours.
We will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent. Only the following people/agencies will have routine access to your data:
- The medical records service who store and process our files (Cliniko)
- Your practitioner(s) in order that they can provide you with treatment
- Our reception staff, because they organise our practitioners’ diaries, and coordinate appointments and reminders (but they do not have access to your medical history or sensitive personal information)
- Other administrative staff, such as our bookkeeper. Again, administrative staff will not have access to your medical notes, just your essential contact details.
From time to time, we may have students in to observe or require our IT technician to access the computer to repair any issues. The tasks they need to perform might give them access to your personal data (but not your medical notes). We will ensure that they are fully aware that they must treat that information as confidential, and we will ensure that they sign a non-disclosure agreement.
You have the right to see what personal data of yours we hold, and you can also ask us to correct any factual errors.
We want you to be absolutely confident that we are treating your personal data responsibly, and that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
Of course, if you feel that we are mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Under the Data Protection Act 2018 we do not require a Data Protection Officer, however you can contact Lisa or Amy using the details below should you have any concerns. Here are the details you need for that:
Lisa Crisp email@example.com
Amy Stratton firstname.lastname@example.org
501 Newark Road
If you are not satisfied with our response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information can be found on their website: www.ico.org.uk
Hykeham Chiropractic Ltd ICO registration No:Z239406X